These are my thoughts. They are not meant to make sense. They are my echo into the woods. I am the tree that falls, and it is here that I make a sound.
Most recent babblings

The history of babble of the modern psychotic blonde

Warps to others, warped and otherwise
Sanity Optional
Saturday, January 22, 2005

Cold Sun

It's been brilliantly cold lately.

For those of you who have never lived through a snowy winter (never mind a Canadian one), you have to understand that it is a different sun that sits in the sky.

Summer sun is yellow, and the light seems almost liquid, turning the air itself into warm syrup. The asphalt shimmers. The dust in the fields softens the line of telephone poles soldiering along the country roads.

Winter sun is almost white. The light it gives is hard, crystalline. And when there is snow on the ground, the light is painful. You shield your eyes from it as you would an explosion, but this blast brings tears to your squinting eyes. The reflected light is everywhere, providing no shade, no solace. And it is on these days, when the sky is wide and the sun seems impossibly bright, that it is the coldest. Without the clouds for insulation, the temperatures plummet. As the clouds roll in with the change of weather comes the wind. Its serrated edge cuts through layers, freezes the breath right on your lips, leaving even the hairs in your nose rigid with ice.

But I really believe that this life we lead here makes us appreciate the warmth of summer, and makes us hardier, stronger, with more stamina. We play in this weather. We work in this weather. We know that even the harshest of times have their end. Spring comes every year.



Blogger Dangerous Mind said...
Oh God, I wish I was Canadian! I love the way you ended, namely

"But I really believe that this life we lead here makes us appreciate the warmth of summer, and makes us hardier, stronger, with more stamina. We play in this weather. We work in this weather. We know that even the harshest of times have their end. Spring comes every year."

It's been six years in Canada for me, and I still hate the Canadian winters. I guess injuries caused from snow and ice don't help.

I do my best to stay off the topic of Canadian winters (sorely tempted to blog about it after driving Saturday afternoon). Mainly because I have enough things to moan about, and worse actually find myself moaning about them on my blog.

But also asmy friend in sunnier France so kindly reminded me "freedom of choice buddy". He's right I decided to move to Canada so gotta put up with it.  

Blogger moodymicello said...
Here I am in Houston and You have so reminded me of being in Denver or Grand Junction, Colorado. The only difference there (I guess) being that a day or two later the snow is gone and it might have warmed up. But I loved a good strong snow where everything is covered and the sun is so brilliant that you have to wear sunglasses. The cold bites into you and once you find the warm kitchen you really appreciate "home". And I remember getting up early in the morning after a snow just to enjoy the special kind of hush there is and the picturesque view of untouched snow covering the ground and the houses - no tracks or footprints- like a fine painting...a moment in time all of my own. But then there was the snow shovel and the "other" drivers and the long cold periods, etc. and I really do love Houston where it is relatively warm all year round.  

Blogger moodymicello said...
Here I am in Houston and You have so reminded me of being in Denver or Grand Junction, Colorado. The only difference there (I guess) being that a day or two later the snow is gone and it might have warmed up. But I loved a good strong snow where everything is covered and the sun is so brilliant that you have to wear sunglasses. The cold bites into you and once you find the warm kitchen you really appreciate "home". And I remember getting up early in the morning after a snow just to enjoy the special kind of hush there is and the picturesque view of untouched snow covering the ground and the houses - no tracks or footprints- like a fine painting...a moment in time all of my own. But then there was the snow shovel and the "other" drivers and the long cold periods, etc. and I really do love Houston where it is relatively warm all year round.  

Blogger Franikins said...
Beautifully descriptive! I see the writer in you. And I want some pancakes with air warmed by the yellow summer sun poured over them. Less calories than Mrs. Butterworth's syrup for sure.  

Post a Comment

links to this post

Copyright © 2005 Blondzila (because no one else would own this).

Powered by Blogger

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates