These are my thoughts. They are not meant to make sense. They are my echo into the woods. I am the tree that falls, and it is here that I make a sound.
Most recent babblings

The history of babble of the modern psychotic blonde

Warps to others, warped and otherwise
Sanity Optional
Sunday, March 06, 2005

It Can't Happen Here

Thursday, four RCMP officers were gunned down in the line of duty in Alberta.

This is not New York City.

This is not Detroit, or South Central Los Angeles.

We haven't had this kind of loss of police life in 120 years. Since the frontier days of the Northwest Rebellion. Google it if you want. It's old Canadian history we learned in Grade seven or eight.

This was in a small town in rural Alberta, where these men were neighbours, likely played hockey or curled with or whose kids went to school with everyone in town.

About six months before my hospitalization in September 2003, a young girl named Holly Jones was murdered in Toronto. I immediately, in my grandiose fashion, decided I was going to be a police officer to ensure this never happened again. I went through several stages of testing and was finally turned down. I was at the time devastated - it sent me into two months of mixed state hell, ending in my hospital stay.

I see these men and women who risk their lives and laugh at the thought I believed I could be one of them.

They are a breed apart. They are selfless, giving to their community because they believe it to be the right thing to do.

There are a whole host of international headlines.

I hope the families of these men can take some small comfort in knowing that there is shock round the world at such a heinous act from this man. But I would think that now, there is little comfort, just loss and pain.

My thoughts are with you. We will not forget them.


Anonymous Anonymous said...
They died in service. For that they will be remembered. It is very sad.

-Banjk  

Blogger Dreaming again said...
Tulsa just erected a statue in honor of those police men who died in service.

A man in our church, just dropped out of the police academy....and I can't help but sigh in relief that he did. I am so grateful for those that don't ... but sooo glad that he didn't make it. (he couldn't handle the tragedy of the car accidents deaths).

I will be remembering these families.  

Blogger xxan said...
My thoughts are with those officers too... Very sad...

You sound fine. Still everything OK in the new job?

All the best!!  

Blogger Dangerous Mind said...
It's a terrible thing to have happened!

All police and emergency workers are brave people to face the risks they do today. I can't understand how people can do harm to others so easily....... the value of human life just seems to diminish.

I'm still relatively young (in 30s) and can remember the days when there was some respect for the police and law & order.
Just don't understand what motivates people today.

My wife has been keen to become a policewoman for some time, but due to family circumstances (mainly shift work and childcare arrangements) she hasnot pursued. And partly due to my fears about the risks involved.

Only a few days ago I was thinking I should be encouraging her to fulfill her dreams. But now....I just don't know.  

Post a Comment

links to this post

Copyright © 2005 Blondzila (because no one else would own this).

Powered by Blogger

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates